Midwifery in the community
The team of community midwives provides antenatal, intra-natal and postnatal care to women and their families. They are specialists in providing maternity care where there are no complications.
Their role includes:
- health promotion and early pregnancy advice
- arranging booking appointments and discussing choices on where to give birth
- providing antenatal care in the local community, GP surgeries and homes
- attending women in labour, both in hospital and at home
- visiting new mums and babies in their homes for up to 28 days after birth
- facilitating local breastfeeding support groups
They give support to new mums and babies about parenthood and baby feeding and have close links with health visitors and GPs.
How to access the service
Once you confirm that you are pregnant, you should make an appointment with a community midwife. You can find out how to do this at your local GP surgery. The GP may wish to speak with you first and send a letter to the hospital or community midwife.
Community midwife teams
Community Midwives North are based at Grove Wellbeing and Treatment Centre: Telephone (028) 9063 6222
Community Midwives West are based at Ballyowen Health Centre: Telephone (028) 9504 0353
Community Midwives South are based at Finaghy Health Centre: Telephone (028) 9504 2650