Shelter from cold and damp is essential for our health and wellbeing. There is a growing relationship between cold and damp homes, falling temperatures and those living in such homes becoming ill. Children develop lifelong medical problems and older people suffer worsening of existing conditions.
Who is as the most risk of being fuel poor?
- Private, rented and NIHE tenants.
- Single parents, those who live alone and older people.
- Households earning less than £20,000 per year and particularly those below £10,000 per year.
- Households headed by someone 60+ or under 40.
- 80% of winter deaths are associated with change in temperature
- Blood pressure can increase significantly after 2hrs exposure to temperatures below 12 degrees centigrade.
- There is an increase in the number of people who die due to respiratory and cardiovascular conditions brought on by the cold.
- Mobility of older people decreases with colder temperatures and this can cause poor health and falls.