Welcome to Belfast
Belfast is the capital city of Northern Ireland. It is a vibrant, diverse city and a great place to live, work and socialise.
The cost of living in Belfast is lower than many UK cities and there are always many things to do and events to see.
We hope you enjoy your time here!
- Currency and banking
- Public transport
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do across Northern Ireland
- Universities and colleges
Renting or buying a home
Before you start looking for accommodation, you should think about what you may need:
- size of property
- type of property (house or an apartment)
- number of rooms
- transport links
- secure parking
- shops, schools, health centres and social/leisure facilities
You may need to do some research on the area you want to move into. Consider how close it is to your family and friends.
You can search for rented accommodation through:
- property websites like Property Pal or Property News
- classified and accommodation sections in newspapers
- Gumtree Belfast
- Spare Room Belfast
- estate agent websites and offices
- ‘To Let’ signs outside properties
Some rented property is not advertised so tell your friends and work colleagues you are looking for accommodation. They may be able to help.
Landlord Registration Scheme
All private landlords must be signed up to the Landlord Registration Scheme.
Local health services
Registering with a GP practice
If you are moving to Northern Ireland, you should register with a local GP practice (doctor).
Registering with a dentist
If you are moving to Northern Ireland, you should also register with a dentist. More information on how to register with a dentist is available here.