On the ward
- All meals and snacks are provided.
- Patients are given a choice of meals on a daily basis.
- Every effort is made to help patients choose their meals. The nursing team can also get advice from relatives on patients’ food preferences.
- Personal needs, preferences and allergies are considered.
- Cultural beliefs are respected.
Teamwork is essential to meet the complex needs of patients. Providing care is an inter-professional and inter-agency activity, which should be based on:
- shared understanding
The core members of the multi-disciplinary team in hospital are:
- social workers
Patients can be referred to other members of the multi-disciplinary team. These include:
- speech and language therapists
- behavioural therapists
- occupational therapists
- complementary therapists
- day care staff