Domestic fires are one of the greatest risks to children. Children playing with matches and lighters frequently start house fires. Younger children often hide from the danger and may not be found until it is too late. Always use a fireguard on an open fireplace and make sure it is attached to the wall. Do not lean or hang anything from it.
It is very important to:
- Fit smoke alarms on each floor of your home (preferably alarms that are connected to the mains or that have 10-year batteries), and make sure that you test them regularly
- Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach
- Extinguish and dispose of cigarettes carefully
- Have an escape plan worked out for your family and tell your child what to do in case of a fire
- Practise the plan regularly.