Acute Care at Home Service for Older People
What is the Acute Care at Home Service for Older People?
The Acute Care at Home Service is a short-term service to support elderly patients mainly over the age of 75 to:
- Avoid unnecessary admission to hospital
- Provide acute medical care at home
- Help them to be as safe and independent as possible at home
- Enable them to leave hospital as soon as they are medically stable to do so
- Our specialist staff in the Acute Care at Home Team will provide care or support during the Patient’s acute illness.
What does the Team provide?
We provide a Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment at home. The patient will have the same access to diagnostics and laboratories as if they were a hospital inpatient.
We would ask that if patients experience any changes in their condition while under our care that they contact us in the first instance to discuss. Tel: 028 9504 1341
How to access this service
In order to access this service you will need to be referred by your GP or another healthcare professional.
Referral criteria for GPs:
- Those referred to the service must be assessed as needing acute care
- Over 75 years
- Live within Belfast Trust area
- Can be managed safely in their home
- Resuscitation required
- Chest pain
- DVT/Stroke/GI Bleeding
For more information, GPs should refer to the GP website