Regional Head and Neck Service
The Regional Head and Neck Service offers diagnosis and comprehensive care for head and neck cancers.
The multidisciplinary team ensures that patients are offered the most appropriate treatment for their cancer.
Surgery for head and neck cancer is carried out at the:
- Royal Victoria Hospital
- Ulster Hospital, Dundonald
- Altnagelvin Hospital, Derry
- Craigavon Area Hospital
Radiotherapy and chemotherapy is carried out at the Northern Ireland Cancer Centre in Belfast.
Services on the Royal Hospitals site
Head and neck clinic consultations take place on Level 8C of the Outpatients Building on the Royal Hospitals site.
Surgical procedures take place in the Regional Head and Neck Unit (Ward 29).
The service is made up of the following:
- head and neck clinical nurse specialists (CNS) – nurses who provide specialist care for patients diagnosed with head and neck cancer
- head and neck consultants – doctors who specialise in disorders of the head and neck, including head and neck cancer
- staff nurses and nursing assistants – staff with specific training in head and neck cancers, palliative care and airway training
- oncologists – medical specialists who uses radiotherapy, chemotherapy, radioactive isotopes and other special techniques to treat patients with cancer
- radiographers – experts in caring for patients who require radiotherapy treatment
- palliative care team – help with any emotional and spiritual needs of the patient and help with managing pain or other symptoms
- dietitians – experts in managing dietary problems that may have been caused by head and neck cancer or treatment
- physiotherapists – specialists in reducing the physical effects of cancer or its treatment
- speech and language therapists – specialists who can assess, diagnose and treat you if you are having problems with communication and/or swallowing
- pharmacist – specialist who can discuss and explain your medication
We take red flag (urgent) referrals from GPs and other hospital departments.
Red flag referrals must be seen within 14 days of the referral being received.
Level 8C Outpatients
Royal Victoria Hospital
Head and Neck Office
Monday to Friday
Phone: 028 9615 6953
Monday to Sunday, 24 hours a day
Phone: 028 9615 0414