Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening Programme
The regional Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Screening Programme reduces premature deaths from ruptured aneurysms by up to half.
An abdominal aortic aneurysm is a swelling or bulge in the main artery that passes through your body. This becomes increasingly dangerous as it grows in size. A ruptured or burst aneurysm is often fatal. Men diagnosed with an AAA will be either monitored or referred for surgery depending on the risk involved.
The screening process involves a simple, pain-free ultrasound scan of your abdomen.
All men in Northern Ireland are sent an invitation to AAA screening in the year they turn 65.
Men aged over 65 can also request an appointment by contacting the AAA Screening Programme office on: 028 9063 1828.
AAA screening is available in the following Belfast Trust locations:
- Arches Wellbeing and Treatment Centre
- Beech Hall Wellbeing and Treatment Centre
- Bradbury Wellbeing and Treatment Centre
- Grove Wellbeing and Treatment Centre
• NI Direct information on the AAA Screening Programme
• Public Health Agency information on the AAA Screening Programme (leaflets available to download)