Breast Screening Programme
Coronavirus has had a major impact on the NHS, including breast screening. As a result you may have waited longer than normal for your appointment and we would like to apologise for this. Breast screening restarted on 20 July 2020 and the programme is currently fulfilling appointments for the backlog of women who need screened.
Women aged over 70 who are due for breast screening can now self-refer. This will be kept under review.
At your breast screening appointment, we take a mammogram (x-ray) of your breast and check it for signs of cancer. You should get your screening result within two or three weeks. The earlier we detect breast cancer, the better your chances of successful treatment.
You should contact the breast screening unit on your appointment letter if:
- your appointment time is unsuitable – we can reschedule
- your appointment location is unsuitable – we can reschedule
- you have had a mammogram in the past six months
- you have breast implants
- you have a disability, difficulty with stairs or are a wheelchair user – we will allocate a longer time slot
- you need an interpreter
- you are currently being treated for breast cancer and/or having annual mammograms
You should also remember to check your breasts regularly for any changes as cancer can develop at any time between screening appointments.
The regional Breast Screening Programme invites all women aged between 50 and 70 and registered with a GP in Northern Ireland for breast screening every three years.
All women will receive their first invitation by their 53rd birthday. Your invitation will arrive approximately three weeks before your appointment date.
Women over the age of 70 are not automatically invited for screening. However, they are encouraged to contact their breast screening unit every three years to make an appointment.
Breast Screening Unit
12–22 Linenhall Street
Tel: 028 9033 3700
Mobile screening units
There is also a mobile unit. The location of this unit varies at different times to enable us to provide Breast Screening in the following areas
- NI Direct information on breast cancer
- NI Direct information on the Breast Screening Programme
- NI Direct information on breast screening appointments and results
- NI Direct information on breast screening locations
- NI Direct information on checking your breasts for changes
- NI Cancer Screening Programmes
- Video for women with learning disabilities