Artificial eye service
What the service does
The artificial eye service is a specialist regional service that cares for both adults and children throughout Northern Ireland.
The service is provided by a team of ocularists who make and fit artificial eyes and cosmetic shells for patients.
Our ocularists also:
- educate patients and carers on how to look after an artificial eye
- advise patients and carers on where to seek further help, advice and emotional support
We provide patient information leaflets on:
- Before eye removal surgery
- Fitting an artificial eye
- How to care for your artificial eye
- Conditions that may occur after eye removal surgery
- Frequently asked questions and answers for an artificial eye wearer
How to access the service
Patients are referred to the artificial eye service by their eye surgeon or another clinician. We usually receive the referral before the eye removal surgery takes place.
Clinics are available by appointment.
Location of service
The artificial eye service is located in Shankill Wellbeing and Treatment Centre.
In an emergency, the artificial eye service can be contacted on 028 9504 0798 from Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.
We are closed on weekends and bank holidays.