About the Services
Brackenburn Clinic offers two services:
- Regional Gender Identity Clinics – for adults who experience gender dysphoria. For those under the age of 18 who suffer from Gender Dysphoria there is an adolescent service called KOI (Knowing Our Identity). Read more in the Knowing Our Identity Leaflet
- Regional Psychosexual Clinics – for adults who have a sexual dysfunction with a strong psychological component.
Both of these services provide an assessment and confirmation of a diagnosis in conjunction with a range of treatments.
How to access the service
Referrals – Adults
We accept referrals from GPs, NHS consultants, Mental Health Practitioners, Specialist Nurses and Psychosexual referrals from Relate. All other agencies should make approaches to the service through the patient’s GP.
Please be advised that it is not possible to provide a timeframe for an initial appointment within the Regional Gender Service. As such if you are making a referral into the clinic you may wish to consider, with the service user involved, whether or not they will require additional support in the interim.
Referrals can be sent via post or email: BrackenburnClinic@belfasttrust.hscni.net. This is a confidential e-mail facility.
Please note, you will receive an opt-in letter from the clinic once your referral has been received by us. You must contact us within the stated time frame to be added to our waiting list.
Please let your referrer know if you have any problems with reading or writing, we are happy to copy your letters with your permission to whoever you nominate.
An initial assessment appointment will usually last for up to 3 hours.
- Further review appointments for service users with gender issues will usually last 30 minutes to one hour once every month. The frequency of sessions will depend on the individual and their personal circumstances.
- Further review appointments for service users with psychosexual issues will usually be offered weekly in order to complete the assessment process, and weekly to fortnightly during treatment. Treatment sessions usually last 30-60 minutes.
- Review appointments before 9:00am and after 5:00pm can be arranged but are limited.
- Unfortunately, as we do not have crèche facilities on site it is not possible for us to accommodate children.
- We are a teaching clinic, so from time to time we may ask your permission for trainee staff to sit in on sessions to observe. Permission for this is entirely up to your discretion and saying ‘no’ will not disadvantage you in any way.
Download a PDF on Additional Information for service users
What if I can’t make an appointment?
Every month between 10-20% of all appointments we offer are missed, while our waiting lists are growing very rapidly.
Please respect other service users, and let us know if you can’t make an appointment so that we can offer the appointment slot to someone else.
Where to find us
Brackenburn Clinic sits within Mental Health and Learning Disability Services in Belfast Health and Social Care Trust and is located in Shimna House at Knockbracken Healthcare Park
Staff at Brackenburn Clinic
The team at Brackenburn clinic are experienced mental health professionals who hold additional psychotherapeutic qualifications to a nationally accredited level.
All staff are registered and regularly monitored within their own professional governing bodies and are required to comply with their Code of Ethics and Practice.
Knockbracken Healthcare Park
Belfast, BT8 8BH
Tel. (028) 9504 0161
Opening hours for Telephone contact
9:00am – 5:00pm Monday – Friday.
Members of the press and media should contact our Press and Media Team