Skip to Main Content Skip to Site Map Skip to Accessibility Statement

Learning Disability Community Treatment Services

People with learning disabilities can experience specific difficulties with their behaviour or mental health. At these times, the individual will benefit from specialist assessment and intervention to work out the reasons for the difficulty and how to intervene.

We can offer these specialist services in the community without the need for the person to go into hospital.

People with challenging behaviour can get help through Behaviour Support Services.

People experiencing feelings of psychological distress can get help through clinical psychologists and the Hear to Help service.

People experiencing mental ill health can get help through mental health specialists, including psychiatrists, psychologists and community learning disability nurses.

How to access the service

Behaviour Support Services, Hear to Help and Clinical Psychology all operate an open referral system. Anyone who has an identified learning disability can refer themselves or be referred by someone else.

People who are referred will be assessed for eligibility and prioritised according to the information available.

To access Psychiatry Services, you will need a referral from your GP.

Also in this Section