Sleep, alcohol, smoking, weight management
Sleep plays a vital role in good health and well-being throughout your life. Getting enough quality sleep at the right times can help protect your mental health, physical health, quality of life. Poor sleep is associated with increased chronic pain and exacerbation of musculoskeletal symptoms. Sleep problems are dose-dependently associated with risk of chronic pain in the low back and neck/shoulders.
Poor sleep has also been associated with increased risk of injury within the endurance sporting population. Therefore it is an important part of patient management to assess sleep and impact on health and presenting condition.
- Sleep and Tiredness
- Sleep matters: the impact of sleep on our health and wellbeing
- The Sleep council
- Improving your sleep when you have arthritis – Versus Arthritis
- Managing fatigue | Causes, self-help, support – Versus Arthritis
- Top tips for good sleep – Versus Arthritis
- Sleep and arthritis information booklet – Versus Arthritis
Alcohol consumption in the UK has more than doubled since 1950 and in Scotland this increased consumption has brought with it an increase in alcohol-related harm. Changing Scotland’s Relationship with Alcohol: A Framework for Action sets out action to address alcohol misuse by:
- reduced alcohol consumption
- supporting families and communities
- positive public attitudes, positive choices
- improved treatment and support
The negative effect of smoking on health is well documented.
With regard to MSK conditions is known to reduce bone mineral density, connective tissue integrity and have a deleterious effect on local vasculature and therefore healing.
If you are overweight or living with obesity, lowering your weight can help reduce your risk of developing serious long term issues like diabetes and cardiovascular disease for example. It is also a risk factor for a host of foot and lower leg problems.
Click here for the advice and support to help you lose and maintain a healthy weight.
- Top tips to manage your weight – Versus Arthritis
- Eating well with arthritis information booklet – Versus Arthritis