Caring for yourself
Caring can be physically and emotionally exhausting. It is important to look after yourself.
- Remember you have a right to a life outside your caring role, so find time for your own interests. See Trust support for adult carers.
- Make sure your GP knows you are a carer and the effect this is having on your health.
- Ask us for a carer support plan.
- Get financial advice to help with any money worries you may have. You can find all the information you need on the carers’ benefits section of NI Direct.
- Try to get enough sleep and rest to keep yourself healthy.
- Try to have a healthy diet.
- Get in contact with people who will understand your feelings and support you as a carer, for example a carer coordinator.