Caring for yourself
Caring can be physically and emotionally exhausting. It is important to look after yourself.
Find out more about the support that is available to carers from the Services Carer Information and Support Officers in the video below.
- Remember you have a right to a life outside your caring role, so find time for your own interests. See Trust support for adult carers.
- Make sure your GP knows you are a carer and the effect this is having on your health.
- Ask us for a carer support plan.
- Get financial advice to help with any money worries you may have. You can find all the information you need on the carers’ benefits section of NI Direct.
- Try to get enough sleep and rest to keep yourself healthy.
- Try to have a healthy diet.
- Get in contact with people who will understand your feelings and support you as a carer, for example a carer coordinator.