Community nursing covers a wide range of services that work together to provide nursing care in the community. This care is provided in your own home and in health centres.
District nurses are skilled professionals who provide coordinated care in your own home. They work alongside other healthcare professionals, especially GPs, to provide holistic care to acutely and chronically ill patients of all ages.
District nurses can also provide access to specialist nursing equipment and services such as:
- specialist continence service
- community oncology and palliative care
- diabetes specialist teams
- 24 Hour Rapid Response Nursing Team
- community heart failure nursing
Treatment room nurses work in partnership with GP staff in health centres across Belfast. Treatment room nurses can:
- provide treatment
- discuss health issues
- refer you to other health professionals
24 Hour Rapid Response Nursing Team
The 24 Hour Rapid Response Nursing Team covers north and west Belfast. The team provides out of hours care and support to patients in:
- their own homes
- private nursing homes
- residential homes
- hostel accommodation
The team also provides urgent, out of hours nursing care.
Twilight nursing is a nursing auxiliary service for patients living at home.
Specialist teams usually include a range of healthcare professionals. These teams are designed to support and compliment community nursing services in treating specific conditions or situations.
Our specialist teams include:
- Diabetes specialist teams
- Community oncology and palliative care
- Community respiratory nursing
- Community heart failure nursing
- Community Nurse In Reach Team
You can refer yourself for the district nursing or twilight nursing service. You can also be referred by a:
- family member
- other healthcare professional
The referral phone number is: 028 9615 8100.
Referrals can be made at the following times:
- 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday
- 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday
To see how you can access other community nursing services, please visit the relevant page: