Minister Announces £15.5 million towards building new Children’s Hospital24th October 2013
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust submitted a Business Case to DHSSPSNI for the development of a Children’s Hospital in September 2013.
The new Children’s Hospital will provide services to children up to the age of eighteen. The hospital is to be built on a site adjacent to the new Maternity Hospital, parallel with the Falls Road.
The Children’s Hospital will contain:
- 155 inpatient beds,
- 48 beds for day case, short stay assessment unit, clinical decision making unit and programmed treatment unit,
- 10 theatres (6 inpatient and 4 day case),
- ED to accommodate 45,000 attendances per year,
- Imaging and support accommodation
- Outpatient department to accommodate 53,000 attendances per year.
The total cost of the project is approximately £250m which includes enabling work, construction and site infrastructure works. The new hospital should be complete in 2020/2021.
Colm Donaghy, Chief Executive, Belfast Trust said: “I speak for everyone in the Trust when I say how delighted I am to welcome the Minister’s announcement today.
“A new Children’s Hospital will benefit the children of Northern Ireland for generations to come and will allow specialist services for children to flourish in an environment that is modern and dedicated solely to the care of children.”