The Oral Surgery Department is based in the School of Dentistry and provides care for a range of conditions affecting the teeth, mouth, jaws and salivary glands.
The conditions we treat include:
- lumps or patches in the mouth
- trauma to the teeth and mouth
- facial pain
Our work also includes:
- diagnosis of mouth cancers
- removal of teeth that are too difficult for your dentist to remove, for example wisdom teeth
- management of complications following tooth removal
- treating patients with serious medical problems, which means they cannot have teeth removed in general practice
Not all patients who come to the department will need surgery, but if you do we offer treatment under:
- local anaesthetic (freeze)
- sedation (twilight sleep)
- general anaesthesia (completely asleep)
Your consultant will advise you on the best option.
On call service
The Oral Surgery Department also has an on call service for patients with:
- serious infection
- trauma to the mouth or jaws
The on call service operates between 9am and 5pm.
You must be referred to our service and you cannot refer yourself. We accept referrals from:
- Emergency Departments
We work closely with a number of other departments in the School of Dentistry and hospital including:
More than one department may be involved in your treatment. Don’t worry as this is normal.
We also work closely with a range of medical specialties including:
- ear, nose and throat (ENT)
- cancer services
- oral and maxillofacial surgery (South Eastern Trust).
If you have been referred to the Oral Surgery Department and have not yet seen a consultant, you should contact the New Patients Office on: 028 9615 9500.
Contacting your consultant
If you have been seen by a consultant and need to contact them, please phone their secretary:
- Dr Marley and Ms Adams
Telephone: 028 9615 5915
- Ms Beresford and Dr Toole
Telephone: 028 9615 5962
If you leave a voicemail, we will try to respond within 24 hours. Please contact us again if you do not receive a response.
If your query is more urgent, please use the other numbers listed.
Changing an appointment
If you are an existing patient and need to change an appointment, please telephone: 028 9504 0725 or 028 9615 5915.
Day Procedure Unit (DPU)
If you recently received treatment in the Day Procedure Unit and need advice, you can contact either:
- Sister’s Office: 028 9615 0160
- Recovery: 028 9504 0386
For more information on what you can expect when you are referred to the School of Dentistry, download our new patient information leaflet.
For more information on treatments and review appointments, download our review patient information leaflet.